Nightmare - BattleBots Season 3.0, San Francisco, CA
There were quite a few upgrades to Nightmare for Season 3.0. I finally ditched my old weapon motor in favor of the newly-released 4" Magmotor, available over at RobotBooks.com.
Nightmare's frame had also been taking a beating from previous events, and it was time for a new one. And, since I had to do that, I had to completely re-wire and re-mount everything from scratch. I swapped out his drive batteries for NiMh ones too, and bought a stack of Astroflight 112D chargers to go along with it.
Nobody said this stuff was easy (or cheap!)
The quest to save weight on Nightmare has always been a tough one.
When I decided to rebuild his frame from scratch, I decided that this version needed to be lighter, so I enlisted my great friend Dan Cherney to put his CNC Milling experience to the test.
The result is what you see here, two beautifully machined beams, cut down from the 1/2" thick L-Beams, including machined interior weight-saving cutouts, as well as a perfect set of circular cutouts for the motors to sit in (this version of Nightmare was originally planned to put two 4" Magmotors to work, but I ended up not being able to save quite enough weight for the second motor)
The motors were to rest in this center channel. This is after I had already installed the cross-beams that keep the two sides of Nightmare together.
Okay, so I'm a complete flake. I was so rushed in getting this version of Nightmare out the door (the above pics were taken 2 weeks before the event), that I didn't even bother to pick up my camera the rest of the construction process.
Special thanks to my very good friend Dan Cherney for his wonderful machining on Nightmare!